I woke up this morning unable to remember the last time I had eaten a vegetable. I knew it was probably Thursday, but I had no idea what I ate or at which meal. And it made me realize how much I wanted an extra large kale salad or green juice. Just to get back to eating healthy foods.
Now that I’m seriously thinking about it, I had a few bites of butter-soaked green beans at brunch on Sunday, and some heavily-dressed Caesar salad at dinner on Saturday. I was away for part of the weekend and it’s very possible that the gin and tonics (mvp drink btw) made me forget any good decision I made. I mostly remember drunkenly eating chocolate covered pretzels at 3:30 am and then again at the airport where they did not taste as good.
Anyways, my point is that while I felt great last week as a result of the healthy eating and multiple yoga classes, that feeling no longer exists.
Weekends can really screw up your eating habits and make Mondays harder than they need to be. It’s something I know I need to work on because starting every week like it’s the first is not productive. While I don’t regret the choices I made this weekend (what’s the point), I’m going to do a few easy things this week to help me get back into the groove.
- Drink lots of water. While gin and tonics may look like water, they are not… unfortunately. So on top of all the salty and sugary foods I ate this weekend, I also drank very little water. Gatorade can only do so much… especially when paired with sour cream and onion potato chips.
- Pack lunches and snacks. In addition to saving me money, packing my lunches and snacks for work means I know exactly what I’ll be eating and can plan ahead, avoiding the cravings I might have for mediocre chocolate covered pretzels.
- Focus on eating fresh food. If I must buy lunch or dinner out, choosing the freshest option is the best. Fruits and vegetables don’t typically come in prepackaged containers that have a ton of sodium and sugar.
- Eat only when hungry. This is so hard because I still need to eat… but I don’t think I’ve been hungry since Friday. Much of the weekend I spent eating in social situations or eating while being entertained. Getting back to normal consumption is necessary in order for me to eat well.
- Get back to the gym. I actually went at lunch. Even though I didn’t want to. Because I’m full of chocolate covered pretzels. Sticking to the routine is important, and I’ve realized it’s not just a workout routine, but a routine around eating, sleeping, etc.